Inspirational Words: Choose Good Habits Rather Than Bad Habits
This week’s positive word
on our A-Z Inspirational Journey …
H is for
You may have opened this blog and thought, ‘habit’ – that’s not a very positive word.
But our habits can decide whether we are enjoying life in the best way that we possibly can.
Our daily routine is made up of lots of habits, good and bad … from having that first cup of coffee on a morning to reading before you go to bed at night. In between this time there will be 100’s of habits that you didn’t even realise existed.
90% is a huge chunk of our day, I wonder how much of your day is made up of good and bad habits?
In this week’s therapeutic creative writing exercise it’s time to look at the habits that are holding you back?
Let’s look at habits that could bring you a happier life.
Write down your day as you go along and establish whether these are good or bad habits, i.e: Is your morning coffee a good habit? Maybe not a great one, but walking the children to school or biking to work are great habits.
Once you’ve established all your habits (good and bad), tick which ones you would like to change. You may be happy with your morning coffee and have no intention of changing it, or you may have been wanting to reduce your coffee intake for a while. The best way to change a habit is to create a good one in its place.
Once you’ve done this, write down your ideal day that includes all the good habits you want to keep or start in your daily life. Look at this daily and start to integrate new good habits on step at a time.
So for example, instead of your morning coffee, how about a hot water with a slice of lemon? The benefits of starting your day this way can be seen here. It’s these little changes that will soon have you living the life you want and deserve.
It is hard to change a bad habit though, no-one said changing it would be easy, but it will be well worth it.
If you want to achieve something i.e. if you have goal in your head, generally we have the initial motivation to get there, if you want it bad enough, the motivation should be enough to get you started. Your aim is to keep going. There’s plenty of people who start a diet with good intentions and when it becomes too hard they turn to the easiest option; something that will give them instant gratification rather than long-term gain. Don’t worry you’re not alone. Read the rule below … 21 days isn’t long to change a habit, and 90 days is only 3 months in which you can completely change your lifestyle. You can do this. Believe in yourself.
However, not all habits are about eating healthily or keeping fit. It could be something in your life that needs to change. Do you do too much for another person? Be careful how you answer this question … You may do a lot for another person (a spouse, children, parents, boss, friends etc.) and you may be happy with this. You may get pleasure yourself from giving so much. However, if you answered, ‘Yes … Yes, I do far too much,’ then you need to look at restructuring a few things in your life.
Ask yourself: What am I doing that I don’t like? What can I do to change this? You may need a family meeting or something similar. You may find that those you have been giving too much to, didn’t realise how you were feeling, as they too have got into the ‘habit of life’.
It could be something as simple as, your spouse doing the cooking on a Saturday night because you do it every other night. Those who love you will support the habits you want to change. Change in certain habits could be small at the moment but you will soon see the changes in your life.
So go back to the list of habits you wrote down at the beginning of this blog post and look at those you want to change. As I always say ‘SMALL STEPS COUNT’, take one of those habits (you can take more if you’d like to, but changing just one habit is a step forward). Concentrate on changing this habit for 21 days. You can do this!
So go on … start making the changes now. Make your good habits fulfill your life. Be the best person you can be 🙂
Wishing you love, happiness and fulfilment always
If you’d like help in surrounding yourself with positivity, you can download your very own FREE inspirational guide here.
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Express Yourself To Feel Alive – A to Z Inspirational Blog; X=Ex is for Express with Express Quotes and Therapeutic Writing
- Are You Willing Enough To Achieve Your Goals? – A to Z Inspirational Blog; W is for Willing with Willingness Quotes and Therapeutic Writing
- How To Concentrate On Your Victories, Not Your Defeats – A to Z Inspirational Blog; V is for Victory with Victorious Quotes and Therapeutic Writing
- How To Let Your Uniqueness Shine – A to Z Inspirational Blog; U is for Unique with Quotes on Uniqueness and Therapeutic Writing
- How To Start Thriving In Life – A to Z Inspirational Blog; T is for Thrive with Quotes on Thriving and Therapeutic Writing
- How To Ask Angels For Help – A to Z Inspirational Blog; A is for Angels with Angel Quotes and Therapeutic Writing on
- Inspirational Word of the Week: APPRECIATION – Top 10 Appreciation Quotes on
- Inspirational Words: How To Manifest Your Dreams Through Excitement on
- Inspirational Words: How to get what you want from the Universe on
- L is for ‘Law of Attraction’ on
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- October 2016
- September 2016
- April 2016
- February 2016
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- January 2015
- November 2014
- October 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- July 2009
- May 2009
- December 2008